Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

JUST IN CASE WE FORGOT

I am not yet recovered from my trip. Today I feel like doing nothing except working in the garden and chopping the last bit of wood that is stashed in a corner of our yard. My mind needs a break.

But before I get out of bed and have breakfast I wanted to remind myself and others about that far away war in Afghanistrap. Yeah that place with the trillion dollars worth of minerals - just ready for mining. But first we must "stabilize" the joint, so we'll need to stay there for a couple more years or so.......and yes, of course, we will need some more $$$ for the war to keep it going.

I can say without much exaggeration that the peace movement in America is limping pretty badly on one leg. I hate to admit it but let's face reality. People care but they have just about given up. I'm not about to join them...I'm far too stubborn for that, but it's rather hard to deny the truth.

These things are cyclical, the tide does come in and out, and for sure the tide is way out right now.

The BP disaster has only exacerbated people's feeling of impotence......the despair is toxic and spreading like a fast moving oil slick.

The question is what can an organizer like me offer people at this moment? Hope, solutions, evidence of possibilities, a sense that we are on the verge of springing to life again?

I don't have any magical answers.....I just keep remembering those folks who are fighting on Jeju Island or the innocents who are being killed in Afghanistan or the social needs going unmet in this country due to endless military spending. That is all the incentive I need to keep going.

But just a couple days off. Then I'll get back on the case. See you all then........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home